Tuesday, January 29, 2013

not actually a representative list

Sorry it's been a while since I've updated, y'all! To be honest, I've been colossally boring--lots of "going to work" and "planning lessons for my private classes" and "buying groceries" and "walking the dog in the rain." Not exactly the stuff of dreams here. My January slump has been compounded by Lugo's awful weather. It hasn't been bad for the last few days, but there was a good two-week stretch where it rained every. single. day. This did not inspire me to get out and explore. Shocking, I know.

So. What have I been doing? I'll share a few highlights.

1. I have been eating Mexican food.

My friend K. and I made an expedition to La Capital Azteca (The Aztec Capital), Lugo's one and only Mexican restaurant. Turns out it's pretty delicious. Even if they don't put ice in their margaritas, because Spain is a bizarre, bizarre place. We chatted with the owner for a while, and it turns out he loves American football. His favorite team is those good ol' Washington Redskins, the team I would support if I liked football even half as much as I liked tailgating for UVA games on the Lawn.

you can be 99% sure I tailgated, then went home instead of going to the actual game.
Football aside, it was really nice to be, for a few minutes, transported from gray, rainy Galicia, back to one of my staple activities in the US: drinking margs with my best girlfriends. La Capital Azteca even smells the same as my go-to Mexican place back home, Guadalajara (colloquially, the Guad).

2. I have been playing in the snow.

It snowed, on and off, for most of last week. It never accumulated in Lugo city, but out in the provincial mountains, things were a bit more serious. Basically everyone I know, including the dude who works in a school a whopping 10 minute-drive away from mine, got at least one snow day...except me. No, instead, I got to go running in the snow with Gwen. Which was fun. But still.

3. I have been becoming cultured.

No pics (guess it didn't really happen), but on Sunday I went to see a musical with two friends. It was called La Verbena de la Paloma, or The Party of the Dove, and was put on by a local amateur group. (Not the pros in the video!) It tells the story of a lecherous, elderly apothecary, who is pursuing a pair of beautiful young twins. As I'm sure you can guess, it was very serious.

And that is that. I can promise you that I have done absolutely nothing else that is even remotely interesting with my time. I mean, I could tell you about how I filled out a grad school application, or the ongoing headache that is my renewal for this program...but I'd rather talk about margaritas and dancing apothecaries.

No comments:

Post a Comment