Thursday, January 3, 2013

santiago en sombra...


A few days after my family arrived, we climbed onto the bus to Santiago de Compostela. It was the third time I've been there, but the first that I felt like I got any sense of the city itself. While my family was checking out the souvenir shops, I wandered around, poking my nose into corners and courtyards.

the courtyard of one of the pilgrims' organizations, with apostolic-era Coke machine
one of the original buildings of the University of Santiago de Compostela
It was dripping a slow, Galician rain for the entire time we were there. I'm adapting to the drizzle for sure, but I'm still not much of a fan. However, something about the cool sky and the moss spilling down the bricks seemed--right. Everything was quiet and calm. Even meditative.

the cathedral

locks on the gate

wrought iron

No comments:

Post a Comment